Monday, June 11, 2012

I Think I Need to Slow Down

I've noticed that I churn out paintings at kind of an alarming rate.  Sometimes two a week.  I can't stop, I finish one and I start the other right away.  I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about making art, because the last couple paintings I've done I haven't been that pleased with.  I should probably take more time to think them through, work on them, re-work them, study them, make changes, etc.  But I don't. Instead I just keep spitting them out.

I feel some pressure to make more because I have four upcoming shows- Beans and Bagels in July, the Kitchen Sink in August, the Glenwood Arts Fest August 17th and 18th, then the Common Cup in October.  I'm also going to submit a few to a LGBT pride show at the Kitchen Sink in July.  So, in the event that I actually sell my paintings, I'll need to have more for the subsequent shows.  So, here I go, churning them out:

The Factory
Acrylic on Canvas
24" x 18"

This is the finished version of this painting.  I added a couple more jellyfish and touched up a few details.

The Plight of the Lovebird
Acrylic on Canvas
14" x 18"

No Rain in the Desert
Acrylic on Canvas
14" x 11"

Betsy Johnson
Acrylic on Canvas
9" x 12"



No comments:

Post a Comment