Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pleistocene Pop

I finally caved and put up an album of my paintings on Facebook.  Why I waited so long, I don't know, because people responded.  My friend Malaika entitled my work "Pleistocene Pop," which I love and makes me happy.  Even though a lot of my work has nothing to do content-wise with prehistory, I've been drawing on this plethora of knowledge that we don't have about the past, which makes imagination easy.  Imagine what it was like when saber-tooth tigers ruled the planet! When homo erectus interacted with the environment!  It's so exciting.

I've also been looking at a lot of LowBrow artists recently.  I don't consider myself or my work LowBrow, but I don't know under what other genre my work would fall.  What other poppy art movements are happening right now?  I'm also severely uneducated, the art-school-dropout.  I don't want to fall into this trap of labeling myself though, because that's always been way uncool.  You can't label yourself, you need other people to do it for you, hence my newly coined style of Pleistocene Pop.  I also just read this blog entry about why the LowBrow movement is not fine art: http://weirdodeluxe.wordpress.com/.  In my opinion, this guy and his opinions are also a bunch of crap, but I also unfortunately agree with some of the things he says.  I just can't stand people on their high horses in the art world.  I'm talking to you, my former professors.

(Side note: There was this one woman I had twice in art school, whose name I can't remember, but she was the most condescending, snobby bitch I've ever come across, and she made me feel so terrible about my work, even though I actually made some good stuff for her classes.  I wish I could remember her name so I could slander her in my blog.)

This is the painting that prompted "Pleistocene Pop":

Woolly Mammoths Meet the Future
Acrylic on Canvas
9" x 9" x 2"

This picture was taken with my iphone because my camera stopped working, thus the shadow across it and the poor quality.  I will invest in a new camera and take a better picture of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment